Sunday, February 15, 2009

12 Weeks

Why is it standard protocol to wait until you are 12 weeks pregnant to announce your pregnancy?  I suppose the thought is that the rate of miscarriage is high before then, and why would one want to have to tell everyone that they miscarried until they are safely in the clear.  I certainly followed this standard protocol with my first pregnancy.  I even waited the standard 16 weeks before I announced that I was having twins for fear of a "disappearing twin".  I guess our society has taught us to avoid sharing life's hardships and portray the image that everything is perfect.  

Well, despite me waiting the standard 12 weeks to announce my pregnancy and 16 weeks to announce my twin pregnancy, I still lost my pregnancy at 23 weeks.  I have always been one to focus on the positive and cover-up or hide the negative, but my loss became a very public event.  I received phone calls, cards, e.mails from people I hadn't talked to in years, friends who didn't even know I was pregnant to begin with.  My parent's friends' friends' from all over the country were sending me well-wishes, etc.  Normally I would've crawled into a hole and come out when everything was OK again, but this time I was forced into sharing my tragedy with everyone I have ever had contact with throughout my life.  

Through this I learned a very valuable lesson.  Life isn't always perfect, and living through tragedy helps you grow as a person.  Sharing these horrific events with others not only helps them look at their own life's blessings and be thankful, but all of these people become a very valuable support network to help you through the difficult time.  In one of my grieving books they specifically mention that the length of time it takes to grieve a loss is directly related to the amount of support for the griever.  I was overwhelmed with support, it was truly amazing.  In addition, so many people stepped forward and shared their own tragedies with me and offered advice as to how they coped and made it through in one piece.  This was perhaps the most helpful for my recovery.  Hearing these stories and noting that each one had a light at the end of the long dark tunnel helped me focus on the fact that I could get there, because they all did.  

So here I am, still walking through my tunnel.  While I am pregnant the tunnel is still dark, but the light is starting to shine through, and while I am only 6 weeks pregnant I am not afraid to share this information with the world.  First, of all why not share the great news after such terrible news last fall?  Secondly, if something does happen I know I am going to need everyone's support more than ever.  So there you have it: shout it out!  Share your exciting news with the world, because most likely everything will be just fine.  If you find that life isn't always perfect, you might just be surprised how many people have been through miscarriages, stillbirths, infant losses, and how their stories might just help you through.

3 comments:

  1. Dana.... Your pregnancy news on Friday the 13th made it the greatest day ever. I know God answers prayers as I've prayed and prayed for this day!
    We will be by your side throughout your journey and feel confident the tunnel will bring us all face to face with a cuddly, healthy, adorable baby to LOVE!
    I LOVE YOU! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana - I could not be happier for you and Frank, I think of you almost everyday and hope that you are well. I can't wait to see you for our girls weekend...where we can be prego together! Your blog is inspiring to read and as my hormones are racing I am crying sitting here reading your insipration words. Thanks and love you and can't wait to see you! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. my heart goes out to you for the hardships. I needed something like this to read. I am 6 weeks pregnant and we thought we were further a long. I went for an ultrasound thinking we were nine weeks and came to find out we are only 6, and that BOTH babies are the same gestational age. Twins were are already rough to hear but then to hear the doctor say don't get too excited, come back in two weeks and make sure they are growing, frankly crushed me. I have been reading up on everything from what not to do, to what to expect, etc...worrying about everything to the point my 3 year old is even worried about me. I needed to read this, to know it's okay if it doesn't work out and all I can do is wait. :) Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

A pregnancy blog with a twist.

If you start from my first entry "The Beginning" you will hear about my life's tragedy.  Out of the ashes of this terrible experience I have formed a whole new outlook on pregnancy.  Throw away the pregnancy books, stop worrying and complaining about pregnancy symptoms, forget about the multi-billion dollar pregnancy & baby industry and simply enjoy the miracle of creating life.  I plan to write about this pregnancy process from a new perspective.  A wiser, more thankful, and hopefully not too jaded perspective.  Since I wouldn't wish my tragedy on my worst enemy I hope that women can learn from my experience and perhaps view their own pregnancies in a slightly different light.  Enjoy!  And, happy miracle making!