Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I LOVE nausea,

fatigue is AWESOME, and constipation ROCKS!  I'm pretty sure most OBGyns don't hear their patients making these exclamations very often.  I too, was one to complain about the many irritating pregnancy symptoms with my first pregnancy.  Again, how my perspective has changed.  

Have you ever considered why these symptoms occur?  There are so many changes going on with our body when we get pregnant.  Our body chemistry changes, our hormones elevate, our blood flow increases, and our body composition starts to change.  All of these things happen to prepare our body for carrying and delivering a baby.  The body literally "knows" what to do!  What a wonderful thing.  To me, my nightly nausea is comforting.  It means my hormones and hcg levels are doing what they are supposed to in order to support my growing baby.  Fatigue means my body is working over time to facilitate the rapid cell division that is taking place, and my uterus is laying the foundation for the structure that will become my baby's lifeblood (ie. the placenta).  Who doesn't love an excuse to nap, anyway?  Constipation, well it's hard to find a plus to that one, but again it is just a (daily) reminder that I am pregnant and my body is following the rules to support this miracle.  

In a way, I like to think of these early symptoms as synonymous with feeling the baby kick towards the end of a pregnancy.  They are helpful (not annoying, remember?) reminders that everything is OK.  So, next time someone asks you how you are feeling?  Perhaps you will think to respond with "fantastic, I'm about to vomit"!

2 comments:

  1. Love you guys and couldn't be happier for the two of you. Much love always :) Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having spent the last 3 years with my pregnant wife, yes three years, I love this perspective. You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

A pregnancy blog with a twist.

If you start from my first entry "The Beginning" you will hear about my life's tragedy.  Out of the ashes of this terrible experience I have formed a whole new outlook on pregnancy.  Throw away the pregnancy books, stop worrying and complaining about pregnancy symptoms, forget about the multi-billion dollar pregnancy & baby industry and simply enjoy the miracle of creating life.  I plan to write about this pregnancy process from a new perspective.  A wiser, more thankful, and hopefully not too jaded perspective.  Since I wouldn't wish my tragedy on my worst enemy I hope that women can learn from my experience and perhaps view their own pregnancies in a slightly different light.  Enjoy!  And, happy miracle making!