Friday, February 13, 2009

Pee stick...

A pregnancy test (a.k.a. "pee stick") means many things to many different people.  There is the "oh #$@*!" group, you know, the woman who slept with a married man, the teen who just had her first "experience" with her boyfriend, or that one night stand where the condom broke.  The pee stick to those women is a brutal informant that they might have made a little mistake.  

Then there are the "oops" gals who just finished breast-feeding their 3rd child and were waiting for their beloved to schedule his vasectomy, or the newlyweds who get pregnant on their wedding night, or even the older couple whose kids' ages are all double digits and she's sure she is entering menopause.  For these women the pee stick is a mixed blessing.  

Then there's the "c'mon, c'mon, change little blue line, you can do it, change" women.  These are the women who may have struggled with fertility, or have desperately tried to get pregnant for months and still no luck, or women who are just really anxious to start their family.  For these women the pee stick is a dreaded ritual and a source of ongoing disappointment.  This is the category I fall into.  

Since we lost our girls I have reminded myself over and over again not to become obsessed with getting pregnant and all of the many different pee sticks that go along with that process.  I created my own mantra telling myself in so many words to heal, smile, chill out, relax, enjoy my husband, and when it is time, it will happen.  Well I am happy to report that it did!  We had a (well 3) positive pregnancy tests which were further confirmed with blood work and an ultrasound.  YAY!  So it all begins, my Jerry McGuire pregnancy blog.  Pregnancy from a new, wiser, and more appreciative perspective.   Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. That's so great, Dana! Thanks for sharing all this -- I'm so so sorry for your losses . . . I will definitely be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats Dana & Frank! I am so happy for you guys. I can't wait to hear more about your pregnancy! (Coming from a fellow pee stick dreader- Emory took 1 year to the date to be conceived.) I am on 6 months now trying for another!) Enjoy! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Tyler and I are so thrilled for both of you. Dana, your blog is amazing, you are so brave to share your journey. Shall your sweet words help others that are struggling to find hope in such a devastating event. You are an amazing woman! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana and Frank... congratulations. We'll be reading along! I also follow a blog written by a dad who's wife passed away a day after giving birth... sad but his story about raising his daughter is harrowing! Funny... honest... and inspiring! Just like yours! http://www.mattlogelin.com/

    We wish you a healthy pregnancy and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeh yeh yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to you and Frank, Dana. I love you lots and I just am over the moon with excitement for you. You are amazing and I am so so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

A pregnancy blog with a twist.

If you start from my first entry "The Beginning" you will hear about my life's tragedy.  Out of the ashes of this terrible experience I have formed a whole new outlook on pregnancy.  Throw away the pregnancy books, stop worrying and complaining about pregnancy symptoms, forget about the multi-billion dollar pregnancy & baby industry and simply enjoy the miracle of creating life.  I plan to write about this pregnancy process from a new perspective.  A wiser, more thankful, and hopefully not too jaded perspective.  Since I wouldn't wish my tragedy on my worst enemy I hope that women can learn from my experience and perhaps view their own pregnancies in a slightly different light.  Enjoy!  And, happy miracle making!