Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Listen to your Dreams

Recently Frank and I had a little scare with this pregnancy.  After a relatively long day, I came home and had a bit of spotting, which any pregnancy website will tell you is reason to call your doctor.  Having learned from the past, we did not pass go & did not collect $200, we called our doctor's office immediately.  The on-call nurse called me back within 10 minutes and gave me very direct instructions to lay down with my feet above my head, drink 64 ounces of water & after 2 hours if the symptom persisted, to call the doctor on-call.  I laid on the couch with tears streaming down my cheeks, remembering all of the terrible events that led up to the loss of our girls.  My husband hugged me and told me that everything would be OK, this was different, this symptom is different and less worrisome, and this is a very different pregnancy.  Well sure enough 2 hours passed as did the spotting.  Coincidentally we had an appointment with Dr. B the very next day.  He explained this symptom as very normal for a 2nd pregnancy especially so immediately after the last pregnancy.  As the uterus stretches old blood from the last pregnancy is released and can cause spotting.  This may happen a few times throughout the rest of this pregnancy and is normal, he assured me.  So all is well, however considering the events of our last pregnancy Frank and I went to bed that night scared, nervous, worried, and solemn.

That night Frank had an interesting dream.  During our infamous trip to Hawaii (many of our friends are convinced that we conceived "Baby C' in Hawaii)  Frank read a book about a father who lost his daughter and his spiritual journey after her death.  One of the key take home points of the book was to listen to your dreams.  The book claims that often times dreams are a way to reconnect with the afterlife and with those we've lost.  I've mentioned this in previous blog entries, but we lost Frank's Dad 20 days after losing the girls.  I always felt as though he left us on purpose, he loved children, and I just knew in my heart that he left so he could take care of our two beautiful babies for us.  

Anyway, the night of our "scare" Frank had his first dream that involved his father since his death on October 25th, 2008.  He dreamt that we took the baby out of my womb and gave it to his father to take care of, until the baby's birth.  Now if the book that Frank read is correct in that dreams are a way of the afterlife communicating with us, one might interpret this dream as Frank's Dad telling Frank not to worry, that he is taking care of this pregnancy and this baby.  Now this might all be a little too supernatural to the afterlife skeptics out there, but it takes experiencing unexplainable tragedy to start believing in the afterlife and looking to spirituality for explanation.  Spiritual beliefs and signs, like Frank's dream, are what get me through the day and especially through the ups and downs of this pregnancy.  So, listen to you dreams, you never know when one might give you comfort, advice, or simply leave you smiling.

2 comments:

  1. ah! what a scare dana! i am so glad everything is OK! i loved reading this about frank's dream... what a beautiful thought knowing frank's dad is watching over you along with your angels. i pray the rest of this pregnancy is uneventful!!!! xo julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dana! I just read this and can feel through your words the angst and nervousness that you two were feeling. I am so thankful that the Lord is speaking to you two through dreams, prayers, love and each other. Dave and I are praying that He keeps loving on you in many different ways throughout this pregnancy. We love you two!

    ReplyDelete

A pregnancy blog with a twist.

If you start from my first entry "The Beginning" you will hear about my life's tragedy.  Out of the ashes of this terrible experience I have formed a whole new outlook on pregnancy.  Throw away the pregnancy books, stop worrying and complaining about pregnancy symptoms, forget about the multi-billion dollar pregnancy & baby industry and simply enjoy the miracle of creating life.  I plan to write about this pregnancy process from a new perspective.  A wiser, more thankful, and hopefully not too jaded perspective.  Since I wouldn't wish my tragedy on my worst enemy I hope that women can learn from my experience and perhaps view their own pregnancies in a slightly different light.  Enjoy!  And, happy miracle making!