Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom, Mum, Mother, Mama, Mommy...

At what moment do we become a Mother? Some might argue that one becomes a Mother once their child is born. Others think it begins when they decide to get pregnant or adopt. For some, it is when they feel the baby kick for the first time. For me, becoming a mother begins the moment you become aware of the fact that you are pregnant. Instantaneously, we are bombarded by the wide range of emotions, never again to be relieved by a blank canvas of feelings, toward that child. When they begin may vary from woman to woman, but the emotions a woman experiences are similar throughout the child's life and are ever present.

Love, the deepest and most innate feeling of love toward another being. Worry, that the child is OK. Hope, for the child's health & happiness. Fear, that we will make a wrong decision or won't always know the right things to say & do as a mother. Excitement, for what the child may do or become. Anticipation of the child's future and how to prepare them physically and emotionally for what is to come. Protectiveness and the desire to shield them from harm. Respect for mother nature and the miracle she is creating. Amazement, from the first sight of their heartbeat on ultrasound to watching the person they become. Joy, pure and utter joy!

While my time as a mother has only been through pregnancy I have certainly felt all of the many scary yet wonderful emotions that have been described to me by so many Moms. I can only imagine the beauty of nurturing and raising one's own flesh and blood, as pregnancy continues to be one of my life's most incredible blessings.

To all you Mothers out there, from fellow preggos to seasoned veterans, Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A pregnancy blog with a twist.

If you start from my first entry "The Beginning" you will hear about my life's tragedy.  Out of the ashes of this terrible experience I have formed a whole new outlook on pregnancy.  Throw away the pregnancy books, stop worrying and complaining about pregnancy symptoms, forget about the multi-billion dollar pregnancy & baby industry and simply enjoy the miracle of creating life.  I plan to write about this pregnancy process from a new perspective.  A wiser, more thankful, and hopefully not too jaded perspective.  Since I wouldn't wish my tragedy on my worst enemy I hope that women can learn from my experience and perhaps view their own pregnancies in a slightly different light.  Enjoy!  And, happy miracle making!