Saturday, May 30, 2009

Belly Kicks

One of the strangest, most wonderful, most surreal, most reassuring feelings in life has to be the feeling of the baby kicking in your belly. I felt what I thought was the baby moving around 16 weeks. I spent a few weeks questioning whether or not it was the baby. Is it gas? Is it a muscle twitching? Am I imagining it? Have I gone crazy? Now at 22 weeks the feeling of a living being moving inside my belly is not only progressively more obvious but increases in frequency daily. Recently, Frank was able to feel the baby kick when he placed his hand on my belly and now we can even see my belly move when Baby C kicks. Interestingly, even at 23 1/2 weeks I never felt the twins move or kick. Perhaps that was a warning sign that something was wrong, but looking back I feel sad that I never got to experience the most wonderful feeling in pregnancy with them. In fact, this feeling is what gets me through the long & monotonous days on bed rest. I received an inspiring e.mail from a fellow mother to an angel. She pointed out that a day on bed rest is one more day the baby moves & kicks inside of you and is one less day spent in the NICU fighting for it's life. What a great perspective and one that makes bed rest seem like nirvana.

Having traveled a long and difficult road which continues to have more and more speed bumps, feeling the baby kick erases all frustrations, fears, & negative thoughts that creep into my being. Truly, pregnancy is a miracle. And, I am continually reminded every time the baby moves, how lucky I am to carry this little being. Now back to the chick flicks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A pregnancy blog with a twist.

If you start from my first entry "The Beginning" you will hear about my life's tragedy.  Out of the ashes of this terrible experience I have formed a whole new outlook on pregnancy.  Throw away the pregnancy books, stop worrying and complaining about pregnancy symptoms, forget about the multi-billion dollar pregnancy & baby industry and simply enjoy the miracle of creating life.  I plan to write about this pregnancy process from a new perspective.  A wiser, more thankful, and hopefully not too jaded perspective.  Since I wouldn't wish my tragedy on my worst enemy I hope that women can learn from my experience and perhaps view their own pregnancies in a slightly different light.  Enjoy!  And, happy miracle making!