Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eliot

I've had quite a few blog entry ideas brewing & I will write them at some point, but today a lightbulb went off in my head as I watched a very touching story on Oprah (yes, I watch Oprah these days, one of the new additions to my schedule since the inception of my life as a couch potato). She was highlighting miracle children who have beat the odds, surviving everything from extreme medical anomalies to Hurricane Katrina. The story that touched me the deepest was a story about baby Eliot who was born with Trisomy 18 and wasn't expected to survive birth. He exceeded every medical expectation and lived for 99 days. He remained on oxygen for most of his short life and was fed through a feeding tube. His parents celebrated his birthday everyday at 4:59, the time he was born. When he became an angel on his 99th day they released 99 balloons in honor of his life. They celebrated his amazing will to live and the inspiration he became to so many people without ever even saying a word.

I found myself relating in someway to their story through my experience in losing the girls & through my deep connection to this baby, cherishing every moment I have with him/her. When interviewed, Eliot's Mom commented that while going through the experience she just kept telling her husband "I will be sad later, but today I am going to enjoy every second I have with him". Those are certainly words to live by. Every day with our children should be celebrated & savored. Whether it's their high school graduation, their first day at kindergarten, the first steps they take or words they utter, the day they are born, or each time they kick in Mom's belly; those moments should be cherished as there's no telling what lies ahead.

Lately, I've found myself waking up excited and refreshed as it means we are one day closer to a healthy full term baby. Last night while my husband was brushing his teeth he commented that in less than 3 months we will get to meet our baby. When he made that comment I thought to myself that is no time at all! The days on bed rest continue to fly by and I find myself more thankful than ever for every moment with this child safely in my belly.

Here is a link to a video on Eliot's life (grab a tissue). Thank you Eliot for reminding all of us to cherish every moment and to stay strong no matter what challenges we may face.

You may have to copy & paste into your browser window...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6Njr-qkq0

1 comment:

  1. I watched the segment as well. Yes... what his mother said was so touching! You have a great outlook on life Dana! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

A pregnancy blog with a twist.

If you start from my first entry "The Beginning" you will hear about my life's tragedy.  Out of the ashes of this terrible experience I have formed a whole new outlook on pregnancy.  Throw away the pregnancy books, stop worrying and complaining about pregnancy symptoms, forget about the multi-billion dollar pregnancy & baby industry and simply enjoy the miracle of creating life.  I plan to write about this pregnancy process from a new perspective.  A wiser, more thankful, and hopefully not too jaded perspective.  Since I wouldn't wish my tragedy on my worst enemy I hope that women can learn from my experience and perhaps view their own pregnancies in a slightly different light.  Enjoy!  And, happy miracle making!